LOST MINE AIRPARK
Bull Shoals Lake
Mark Twain National Forest
Glade Top Trail
Devils Backbone Wilderness Area
Hercules Glade Wilderness Area
Caney Mountain Conservation Area
North Fork River
Ozark County Historium
Ozark County Historical Information
Theodosia Chamber of Commerce
Ozark County Chamber of Commerce
Ozark County Times Newspaper
HISTORIC MILLS OF OZARK COUNTY
The water powered mills of Ozark County were once the community and commerce centers of their areas. In addition to the mills, there wereusually a blacksmith, general store, post office and businesses reliant on the power that the mill could provided. People came from miles around to have their grain ground, buy supplies and catch up on the news and visit with their neighbors.
Today in Ozark County there are five remaining mill buildings. They are all privately owned. Three of the five are open to the general public.
DAWT MILL: Located about a mile off Route PP North of Hwy 160 East of Gainesville. The mill issituated on North Fork River. A dam was built to divert some of the river flow down a mill run to power the under shot water wheel. The mill was built in 1892, but later burned. The mill now standing was built in 1909. Major renovations on the mill and grounds began in 1995. A lodge was built, along with a restaurant and deli. The old general store was also restored. Camping, picnicking and canoe rental are also available. The Dawt bakery sells baked goods made from their freshly ground grains.
HODGSON MILL:Located about 17 miles North of Gainesville on Hwy 181. The site was selected for the mill because of the crystal clear spring that discharges about 23,500,000 gallons of water each day into the Bryant Creek. The first mill at this site was built in 1884. The original mill burned and was rebuilt in 1894. The spring also powered generators that supplied electricity to a cotton gin, saw mill and clothing factory. Legend says that the clothing factory was the originator of the "Big Smith" brand of overalls.
ROCKBRIDGE MILL:Located on Spring Creek, North of Gainesville, just off of Hwy N. The community of Rockbridge was the county seat of the original Ozark County from 1841 until it was burned during the Civil War. In 1865 the mill at Rockbridge was built and a new community grew around it. The community continued to thrive until the depression years. The bank and general store closed in 1933. The mill stopped operations in 1940. The property was purchased in 1954 and Rockbridge Trout Ranch was established as a trout hatchery and full service fishing resort. In the fairly recent past the owners have opened the Rockbridge Gun Club and offer trap and wobble trap shooting. There is also a 10 station clay course. When you visit, dinner is a must. You'll enjoy the fresh caught trout and homemade cobbler. Fantastic! Reservations are advised.
ZANONI MILL: Located 9 miles North of Gainesville on Hwy 181. There have been 3 millson this site. The first 2 burned. The mill as it now stands was built in 1905. The mill at Zanoni is powered by a hillside spring that delivers about 500,000 gallons of water per day. The mill is unusual in that it uses an over shot water wheel to power the mill. The mill is located on private property and not open to the general public.
HAMMOND MILL:Located about 3 miles Southeast of Thornfield off of Route D South. The mill at Hammond was constructed in 1905 by one of the original founders of the town. Hammond was a thriving community and a commerce center for the area at the beginning of the century. In addition to the mill, there was also a general store, blacksmith, post office and drug store. Unlike other mills in the area, Hammond was powered by turbines instead of water wheels. The old mill structure is being restored as a private home and is not open to the general public.